Thursday, January 13, 2011

D-Y-I??

maybe not.


Here is a blog post by Estelle


Just a sample:
There's a whole D-I-Y following out there (trust methere is). And there are actually lots of small businesses built around this concept (notice I said small). But the more I think about it, the less I want to get stuck in this way. Don't get me wrong, I love making things with my own two hands - there's something special and rewarding about that process. But if my business stays as a one-woman-show, how can it grow? It probably can't. In that case, I would become so wrapped up in it that it drains every ounce of energy and joy from me and alot of people would miss out on a bunch of opportunities because I've hoarded my talent.


A few simple ways to stop D-I-Y thinking:

- recognize that sharing the load gives others more opportunity to grow (build their talents, make money, succeed, learn)
- start cutting out the things I really don't want to do - ask for help or pay someone to do it (most of us could easily start doing this, if we're not already)
- assess how much time and energy (as well as money) I'm actually saving by doing it myself
- plan ahead and make a strategy for getting help and hiring people
- learn how to ask for help
- learn how to accept help when it's offered

So when should I D-I-Y?

When it enhances the quality of your life and the ones around you (I may not want to hire someone to bathe my dog, shop for Christmas gifts, or balance my money.).
When it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, maybe.
When there's absolutely no one else who will do it.

The point is...I don't want to get stuck thinking I HAVE to do it myself or it won't get done right, on time, cheap, healthy, or good enough. I need to share the wealth! Right? Right.



Finish reading here

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...