Thursday, August 18, 2011

Making of Frog Frenzy

This is the making of Frog Frenzy. 

A friend asked me to make this for her and bought me all the fabric. 

I wont do a tutorial for this as I dont remember what sizes I cut things. 
Previous post about Frog Frenzy here

First: Cut your pieces

Next- do some sewing
 then pressing... lots of pressing
 and more sewing

 put your blocks together
 trim them to all the same size
 so pretty
 then try to decide on a layout.  This one is a bit boring.
 a bit better....
 that looks good
 nah.
 sew the blocks in rows and then the rows together. 

Get a baby to  model  play on it.  

 have a little fun with the pictures
 quilt it 1/4 inch from the outside of the black sashing.
 sign it and wash it.
 take a few pictures and hand it to your friend. 

Now I have a question for you all.

I am not allowed to make money here (due to being a dependent on a VISA) but I am just curious. 
How much would your time be worth??
if someone gave you fabric so it was only your time that was being paid for?

I know that crafters never make enough to cover their time. 
But its a question I was wondering about. 

For example in this quilt I kept track of the time I spend for fun and it was about 17 hours start to finish (minus time for planning)

I loved doing it just as another project (that I dont have room for to keep in my house).

Let me know:
How much is your time worth?


4 comments:

Deb said...

Hey Debbie -

This article is pitched at people who are trying to do crafts for a living, but it was an interesting look at the idea of all costs involved in a project.

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2011/08/how-to_price_your_handcrafted.html

I know we do our crafts in part as a creative therapy outlet, in a world where handcrafted appeal meets a real budget crunch - not to mention VISA requirements... but it's interesting to thing about what it would take to make it work in a real life scenario!

Also consider how much work for other people's taste or repetitive you'd really want to make.

There are a few people who I know who might be able to give you a better realistic answer... the lady who does the longarm quilting - how does she decided on price vs time & supplies. Kadi at Chix who does knitting for others for a price.

I'm so glad you're having fun!

Duffman said...

@ the very least when it's all said & done you'll have an awesome portfolio if/when you DO get a green card.

Kendra said...

Debbie, it looks great! I love all the photos - such fun angles!

Shannon said...

This is close enought o a tutorial for me. Looks like the big piece is 4 1/2 X 9 1/2. The small squares 4 1/2 X 4 1/2. Then 1 1/2 X 9 1/2 and 1 1/2 X 4 1/2 strips. I will be adding this to my to do list. I will have to read that artical. 17 hours is a large amount if time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...