Tuesday, November 12, 2013

hiding threads in a quilt

I started hiding my threads because i didnt want to have some ugly knots of thread from my machine on my quilt tops.

 I posted a picture that showed all my threads showing in a quilt block on G+
I got some questions about what happened. 

So here we go.

I start by pulling up the bobbin thread to the top

 I then take both threads and put them on a needle
 I put the needle close to the fabric and wrap the thread around it ~4 times. I then pull the needle though fabric right at the spot between the two threads
you can see the knot here:
 I pop it though the fabric and then make another knot at the surface of the fabric , cut the thread,
 and use the needle to pop it back though the fabric by going one layer down and hooking on the thread and pulling. I sometimes need to help it out with my thumb nail.
 and done!

I double it up so that there is less of a chance of them pulling back through again.

I adapted this from Leah Day http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-hide-your-quilting-threads.html because i didnt have a cheater needle 

1 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Deb: I'm making a tee shirt quilt and I have one blank square so I can write my name and date on it. What type of a pen do you use for that? I imagine it has to be something that won't run when I toss it in the washer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...