Monday, September 22, 2008

.....Continued from Daves birthday blog

so this is the next part of our weekend.

Saturday morning we work up at the early hour of 7am and got ready to go. At 8:30 we were on our way to France to meet my sister Melissa. (family nickname- Missy.)

We discovered that France is VERY expensive to drive quickly across. All the main highways seem to be tolled (prices like the 407). It cost E44.70 to get down to Nantes.
We got to the hotel around 2:30 pm. It was a decent room, especially since it was the cheapest one we stayed at in all of Europe (apx $77 CAD- cheap!)

It was difficult driving through the city since there seemed to be many roads blocked for some kind of protest that had bag pipes playing and signs that said reunification now (in French of course). But we made it to Missys with not much problems. We found her and after she attacked us we went to the car to get the stuff we brought her ("Christmas presents" lol ). We walked up 5 flights of stairs to the 6th floor where Missys room was.
She was so excited to get all the things we brought. We had gone through our stuff and the things we didn't need or didn't want to take home we brought to here.

List of some things Missy got:
Google travel mug
extra towel
a coke cup from McDonalds
extra Canada things
some school supplies
Easy Mac
storage containers
hot chocolate mix from hotel and many other random things.

After "unwrapping" her gifts we headed out for supper at an Italian place that was very good. Nantes was the first place that we went to that didn't get a lot of international visitors and were very interested in us being Canadian. The first time we saw the difference that Canadians and Americans can get when in Europe. This was Missy's "birthday dinner". We went over to a store that is like the Carrefour (which we found out from Missy means crossroads)- kinda a Wal-mart store.

We went back to her room and hung out til after 10 and then it was off to the Hotel. It was so hard to sleep since my cold (that started as a sore throat on Friday night) went to my head and out my nose. It also was a Saturday night in a university town and our window was open. It got a bit loud.

Saturday we got up at 7:30 am to head over to Normandy. We stopped at a McDonald's for breakfast. We got most of the items off the breakfast menu. Which wasn't much. They had pancakes, flattened toasted buns, and yogurt. They gave you syrup, strawberry jam, apricot spread, and chocolate spread to go on the items. Of course I got OJ for the Vitamin C.

We went to Pointe du Hoc where there was a great battle that took place in WW2. It was very interesting and humbling to see the pits made from bombs and the bunkers and all kinds of other war evidence.

From there we drove along the coast and saw some of the other beaches that were taken by the allies in WW2. We stopped at Omaha beach where the Americans have a large Cemetery. We walked down to the beach. It was very strange looking up and seeing what had to be taken with no cover. We also stopped at Juno beach (were the Canadians battled) We then headed back home. We paid E28.30 in tolls on the way home. We arrived at 9:30 pm and went right to bed. Again we didn't get much sleep as now Dave was getting my cold and I still had mine.

Its now Monday and Dave came home from work at 2:00 pm because he was getting nothing done at work and is now napping on the bed.

Here our our trip details:
Total Time: 16H 48min
Moving time: 15H 31min
stopped: 1H 17min
Moving avg: 92.8 km/h
Overall avg: 85.7 km/h
Max speed: 148 km/h

again I dont know what the KM was- but it was a lot!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...